Saturday, January 05, 2008

The more things change

Kaylee hasn't been feeling well, and last night was no exception. She woke herself up at about 5 a.m. and there was nothing I could do to put her back down. So I did what any dad (who's wife is sick, so he can't just go wake her up) would do, I took her in the front room and laid down with her on the couch.

She, of course, was immediately asleep. Me – not so much.

Now I don't know if you've ever tried to watch TV at 5:30 on a Saturday morning, so let me tell you – there's nothing on. So as I lay there with 20-something pounds of baby curled up in the crook of my arm I got to thinking how similar the situation was to one year ago.

How many nights did I wake up to a crying baby and end up wide-awake on the couch with her. Trying not to move a muscle because she just got to sleep – which means she's finally quiet.

I found it humorous how much some things have changed – but how little others have.

She's walking and talking and figuring out new things every day. She doesn't want a bottle of milk – a cup of water will do the trick. Forget the rattle, she wants your cell phone. Wrapped up in a blanket like a burrito? Forget it, we can't even keep her socks on.

But the biggest change? A year ago I had TV shows stock-piled on the Tivo and now I'm stuck watching reruns of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air."

Stupid writer's strike.

Kaylee today: Bouncy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I'd watch Fresh Prince, I'd be watching DVD's.

PS - For a while, I thought that you were going to get serious on me... nostalgia, nostalgia, nostalgia... and just when I thought that... wham!!! You set the hook with your Fresh Prince comment. So much for being serious.

Unknown said...

DVDs are great - if you aren't stuck on the couch, in the dark, with a baby glued to your chest. The beauty of Tivo is it's all on one remote ...

... and when am I EVER 100% serious? I would have been cracking jokes at the altar if I didn't think Father Kip would have had me smote. Smited? Smitten?

Anonymous said...

I do believe Father Kip is a bit smitten with you, yes. Weirdo.

In West Philadelphia, born and raised ...

niftysunburn said...

unrelated to this topic...

can you post some pics of Kaylee with the sharphin... or just the sharphin if she won't even touch it any more. I'm starting to get commissions and want pics of it. Preferably with a cutiepie