Sunday, April 06, 2008

Eating outs

I remember when Rae was pregnant, we went out to eat (an Applebees I think – high dining to be sure) and a family of five was seated near us. The teenager talked on the phone. The middle child couldn't sit still. The two year old yelled and threw things and went through two plates of food before he actually ate anything.

On the way out the mother noticed that Rae was pregnant. "Enjoy it while you can," she said. 

We didn't think too much of it at the time – but we have made the transition from "Oh God, can you believe they brought a screaming child to this fine dining establishment," to "Oh God, can you please keep her quiet long enough for me to inhale this cheeseburger wrapped in paper."

But at least I'm not one of those people who brings their toddler to a late-night horror movie.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It does my heart good to know this child is beautiful, even when sticking her finger up her nose.

And by the looks of things, you're still enjoying it; you're just enjoying it differently.

On behalf of everyone in the theater for the late-night horror flick, thanks for leaving her at home. One of these years, though, I foresee a family trip to a scary movie. I'm patient. I can wait.

Unknown said...

I'm sure that when we finally take her to the movies - it will be Rae and I who are scared of whatever singing and dancing animals are in the lame-plot-of-the-month-Disney-rip-off-film we've taken the kid to see.